Window scratch repair is a process that requires careful consideration and a delicate touch. First, of course, you want to make sure you don’t damage the window, but at the same time, you need to remove those pesky scratches from its surface.
This article will discuss safely removing those scratches from windows using cost-effective and straightforward methods.
Variety of Methods on Window Scratch Repair
Toothpaste can help hide the scratches on the glass. In addition, the toothpaste can accept some light scratches and make them less noticeable. Still, over time they will reappear as toothpaste is abrasive and contains micro-abrasives which will eventually scratch up the window again. Ultimately, this process will damage the window more over time.
- Clean the window thoroughly to remove any dirt or debris
- Once the window is clean, apply a small amount of toothpaste on a very soft cloth and lightly scrub the scratches you want to hide
- Wipe away excess toothpaste with another clean microfiber cloth so there is no residue left
- Allow the window to air dry for at least 15 minutes so that you can inspect your work
- If there is still some residue left, apply another layer of toothpaste and buff it off again
- Allow the windows to air out overnight before using them again
Baking soda will make your windows look new again at a fraction of the cost without buying new window panes. Baking soda is a mild abrasive. This means it is gentle enough to remove the surface scratches from the glass windows without damaging them or leaving residue behind, but strong enough to remove those annoying fine scratches that you often see on newly installed glass panes.
- Get a bowl, pour an adequate amount of baking soda.
- Put an equal amount of water
- Mix them well to form a paste.
- Dip a clean, soft cloth, and gently rub it in a circular motion to the glass with scratches
- Do this for approximately 30 seconds.
- Once the solution dried up, clean the glass with water
- Then wipe it with a dry, clean, and soft cloth.
Clear nail polish is an excellent solvent that can fill in scratches. It will create a smooth finish as if it is new. However, you can apply them on minor ones as it may not cover those too deep scratches.
- Apply a thin layer of clear nail polish to the scratches.
- Let it dry for about an hour.
- Then get a cloth and moisten it with a nail polish remover.
- Wipe it over the surface, removing the excess polish outside the scratch.
If you feel like the scratches are too many or too deep to handle by any compound, it would be great to call for a professional for help.
Highly trained professionals can easily remove scratches. Professional shops utilize more than simply sanding and polishing to achieve that brand new look. As the average detailer at home, they use an optical luster, yet far more profound.
Related Post: How to buff scratches out of glass?
The most common causes of window scratches
Some of the common scratches on glass windows are the following:
- Sharp objects rubbing against the exterior glass of your window
- Cleaning the window glass with abrasive cloth
- Rubbing fingernails against the glass window can create minor scratches
- Dust and debris rubbing against the glass window with a strong wind
Tips for keeping your windows looking new for longer
Here are a few tips to help you keep your windows looking new for longer:
- Regularly clean your windows with a soft cloth. This will prevent dirt and dust from building up over time and causing scratches.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners when cleaning your windows, as these can damage the surface of the glass.
- Do not rub glass surfaces with your fingers, as this can cause scratches. You may want to consider using gloves or a soft cloth when cleaning thewindows so that you won’t be damaging them in any way and will help preserve their shine for longer.
- Keep your windows and doors closed when it is windy so that you can protect the glass surfaces from small debris like sand and dust.
- If you have pets, make sure to keep them away from the windows as they can cause scratches with their claws.
Window scratch repair is a process that professionals should only do if the damage is extensive. Trying to do it yourself could end up causing more damage and costing you more money in the long run. So instead, trust the professionals to get the job done right.
Window scratch repair may also require careful consideration and a delicate touch. First, of course, you want to make sure you don’t damage the window, but at the same time, you need to remove those pesky scratches from its surface.
When its time to replace the glass window?
There are instances when the glass windows scratches are too deep to be challenging to repair. So, replacement would be a good choice. If such is the case, you can call for a glass supplier like One Day Glass that can quickly provide you with the window glass you need.
One Day Glass has professionals adept at glass cutting with its quality work and high-end quality glass. They also offer a wide variety of glass types, thicknesses, and colors to choose from, so you can find the perfect one for your needs. Window scratch repair is only one of the many services that One Day Glass provides.
Call One Day Glass today and get your free quotation!