Over time, the sun can damage your sliding glass door. One of the best ways to keep it lasting longer is by adding a layer of tinting over it.
The tint will help prevent fading and cracking. Tinted glass doors or windows are also easier on your eyes in the morning when you wake up or during the day when you want to take a nap in your living room. You can even make some parts of your home more private with them.
What is sliding glass door tint, and why do you need it?
Most homeowners love sliding glass doors to let in light and the view. However, it can harm your glass door and furniture inside when the sun’s light gets in. The sun will damage the material of your door no matter what you do unless it is tinted.
Tinted doors can protect the interior of your home from fading and cracking. If you notice that part of your door is fading or cracking even though it has been in place for years, it’s probably because of the sun’s damaging heat. So, adding a layer of tint can prevent that from happening.
When should I get a sliding glass door tint?
You may consider having your sliding glass door tint when it has been in place for a while, and it is showing some damage due to the heat of the sun.
You can also opt to put new ones on if you have just purchased a home with them already installed or are considering upgrading from metal doors to glass ones.
Keep in mind that many companies will require you to get your sliding glass door tinted every few years. You also need to remove them when it is time for a new installation and reapply.
Related Post: House Window Tinting: Is It A Good Idea?
How to measure for a sliding glass door tint?
To get the right size for your sliding glass door tint, you will need to measure both sides of its sliding glass door.
Measure from top to bottom, then on both sides. Ensure that you include any trim details when measuring to place them quickly.
Most companies will have a chart on their website that tells you the size of tinting that you need for your door.
What are the different types of sliding glass door tints?
There are three sliding glass door tints: solar, privacy, and color.
- Solar. Solar is the most common type of tint for sliding glass doors. It protects them from sunlight damage, allows light in without letting heat through, and helps to keep cool air from escaping your home or apartment.
- Privacy. Privacy tints are helpful when you want to avoid prying eyes while watching television or taking a nap on the couch at home. You can also use them to make the view more interesting by creating a dark pattern over your door that reflects light when it hits it just right.
- Colored tints. Colored tints are great for adding some pizazz to your home or apartment without having to paint everything but the kitchen and bathroom cabinets. Color tints are also very good at brightening up the house and making it feel more like a vacation spot in your city or neighborhood.
When considering a sliding glass door tint, it is essential to think about what type of effect you want the tint to have. Once you know what you want, it will be easy to find the right kind of sliding glass door tint for you.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Sliding Glass Door Tint
- Energy Saving. Adding a sliding glass door tint can help save you money on energy bills. This is because the tint will help reduce how much light and heat enter the room, so you won’t need to turn up the thermostat as high to warm things up when it gets cold outside.
- Sun protection. A sliding glass door tint can help protect your furniture and carpets from fading in the sun. Over time, this can save you money on replacements or repairs.
- Privacy. If you want some privacy for yourself and your family but don’t want to completely blackout the windows or doors, a sliding glass door tint is a good idea. It will let light in but keep prying eyes out.
- Low-maintenance. Once your sliding glass door tint is installed, you don’t have to worry about it very often. Most companies recommend getting the tint reapplied every few years, but that’s generally it.
- It can be expensive. Depending on the place you live and the size of your sliding glass door, the cost of a tint can add up.
- It can make the room feel darker. If you’re not used to having tints on your windows or glass doors, getting used to the reduced light levels can take some time, especially during the day when the sun is shining brightest.
- You need to remove it for door repairs. If you need to get your sliding glass door repaired, in most cases, you’ll have to take it off before the professionals can start to work.
All in all, there are many pros and cons to consider when thinking about getting a sliding glass door tint. Therefore, it would be best if you took the time to check these aspects before choosing whether or not it’s suitable for you and your home.
Things To Consider Before You Buy Sliding Glass Door Tint
- The place you live. If your city is warm for most of the year and gets very little snow, then a solar tint may be all that you need to protect your sliding glass doors from fading. If not, a privacy or color tint would be better because they will keep sunlight out while still allowing air inside during the cooler months of the year.
- Budget. Tinting can be costly. Generally, sliding glass door tint can be expensive.
- The amount of light you want inside. Solar tints are very good at letting sunlight through while blocking heat from getting in. They will keep your home cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
Sliding glass door tints can be very useful, but only you know which type of tint would work best for your needs. So, consider all these factors before buying to ensure that you get what you want and need from your new sliding glass door tint.
Are you planning to put tint to your existing sliding glass door? We can help you! Check our website and see a wide range of custom tinted glass options perfect for any home glass door. We also have different windows and door glass if you need any major renovation at home.
Contact One day Glass today and get your free quotation!